Pages

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Unit Organization

A few people have asked me about how I store my unit (science and social studies) materials, so I thought I would share with everyone.  One of the girls that I collaborate with uses this same concept to store her phonics materials and that is where I got the idea for my unit materials.  I used to keep all of the worksheets in a binder (one for science and one for social studies).  As much as I love my binders, it just wasn't working for me.  I would always forget about the books I had for each standard and it was tough to keep everything organized.  So that is why I switched to a bin.  I keep this bin in the closet on my unit shelf (see the post about it here).
The bin is from Office Depot - I really like it because it is specifically for hanging folders.

Office Depot Brand File Tote 10
I went through all of the standards and used 'key words' as my hanging folder labels.  I thought about using the actual standard, but then I figured that it would be easier to quickly find what I needed if I used the key words.  Then, I put the folders in alphabetical order.
In each folder I keep all of the activities that correspond with that standard.  I am also able to keep a few books in each folder. 
This folder is for habitats.

This folder is for living and non-living.
 All of the books for each standard don't fit in the folders, so I just put one or two in there.  I also went through all of my unit books and typed up a list of the books I have for each standard:
This is one of the pages from my science book list.
I keep this book list in the last folder in the bin so that I can quickly see what books I have for whatever standard I am teaching.

As I was putting the pictures in this post, I realized that they all happened to be of science materials.  I just want to clarify that my social studies materials are also in this bin.  I didn't separate the two subjects within the bin, just put all of the science and social studies folders together in alphabetical order. 

I hope this gives you some ideas!  Is there an organization method that you use that you really like?



1 comment:

  1. This looks awesome! I'm at the point where I've collected enough science materials to do this. Thanks for all the organizational inspiration! BTW, I'm your newest follower.

    Learning at the Teacher Table

    ReplyDelete