Pages

Friday, June 6, 2014

It's a Slight Obsession...

I have a slight obsession with books.   (:  Especially children's books!  I love finding books that capture the students' attention while teaching important skills at the same time.  That is why I am so excited to link up with Deanna Jump for her Let's Talk About Books! Linky.  I have so many favorite children's books but my absolute favorite is Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen.
 
I read this book at the beginning of the year and for the past four years that I have used this book, I have teared up every time! 

This book is about a lion who finds his way into the library.  At first, everyone is in an uproar over it - but the librarian says that as long as he follows the rules, he can stay (this is where using it at the beginning of the year fits in -- following the rules!).  But then, the librarian falls and hurts herself and the only way the lion can get her help is by breaking the rules.  He knows that he has broken the rules so he leaves the library (heartbreaking!) but then he is welcomed back because sometimes it is okay to break the rules.  

The kids love this book (and so do I!).  When we are finished reading this book we have a discussion about it.  I ask the kids if they think that it was okay that the lion broke the rules.  Then, it leads perfectly into what our school rules are!  

What are some of your favorite books to use at the beginning of the year?

Katie



No comments:

Post a Comment